Tuesday, December 5, 2006

Wairua-the exhibition

Kia ora tatou:


People often ask me what I see in the landscape, what it means to me, what the theme of my work is. For a long time I have felt that this country has a uniquely mystical side to it, a quality that is somehow other. Maori have a word that somehow sums it up.
Wairua.
Loosely translated, the word means spirit but, like so many words in Maori, contains layers of meaning and significance. It's the spirit of a place, but it's more than that. Sense of place can come from the things that are there, the buildings, people, structures, landforms and the interrelationship between them. That is the approach Robin Morrison took. Wairua contains more than that; it contains the idea of a mystical presence that dwells in the land and informs all, that affects the way people live and the way that they feel.

I have noticed that New Zealand film seems to have this unique darkness, a sense of something else. Vincent Ward’s Vigil is a case in point. All his movies, in fact, seem to have this quality. It is as if he is listening to a radio station unavailable to the rest of us. Snakeskin is another movie that springs to mind. Again that sense of a sinister supernatural infection. Even comedies like Goodbye Pork Pie and Came a Hot Friday have this same edginess. Sam Neill discusses this idea in his documentary Cinema of Unease. You might want to rent it and decide for yourself.

In my travels around New Zealand, working on White Cloud Silver Screen, I often wondered why this was (being on the road gives you a lot of time to think). I wondered what it was filmmakers saw that photographers did not. While the filmmakers seemed to have captured the essence (or inner sense) of our landscape, photographers are still heavily replicating an essentially European view of the landscape, a romantic pictorialism similar to that carried out by the English landscape artists of the 19th-century, who brought with them the watercolour aesthetic they had learned, and pasted it on the landscape in front of them. Bit by bit, day by day, as I considered this idea, I found it feeding into my photography and into the way I perceived the landscape and the feelings I began to have while being out in it.

Experiences in some of the forgotten, out-of-the-way corners of this country only served to reinforce it. Bad Blood, the story of Stan Graham, an ordinary man who went mad and shot a number of people, is a case in point. Down in the hills behind Hokitika, it was easy to imagine paranioa setting in as a result of being watched by a landscape that wore a perpetual scowl.

Out beyond the city limits, beyond the pressures of human existence, in the dark corners of this country (and they are there) are some very old stories waiting for listeners. Sometimes the stories are turbulent, sometimes serene. But they are there, if we are ready to listen.

Te Wairua o te whenua. The spirit of the land.







8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful images Tony - the colour on my screen is just about what I remember from seeing the real and huge images at your exhibition on Friday night. I think if people have the chance to see the images in real life they should take it - but at least we can continue to enjoy your spirit of the land by viewing them over the ether. I still see space and maybe it is also "freedom" in the images
Best wishes
BB

Anonymous said...

Truly stunning images Tony. Thank you for posting them

Anonymous said...

So great to see these images again, Tony. They prompt the memory as to the sheer magnificence and awesomeness of the hung images. I think you have truly captured something here - the spirit of the land - that I haven't seen in earlier landscapes of yours. I hope people who view them, whether New Zealanders or overseas visitors passing through Darfield, carry away and reflect both on the beauty and on the feeling that you have revealed.

It was a privilege to be at the Exhibition Opening and see those memorable images in their full beauty. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The exhibition is outstanding! There's no doubt you have a great eye for creating an image. But I think it is just as important that you appear to have developed each one very carefully and precisely to bring out the colours and tones. And it's this that makes the difference and gives them the WOW factor.

Are you willing to share any of your digital darkroom secrets?

Anonymous said...

Tony: I'd looked at your beautiful exhibition images displayed here two or three times before it occurred to me to enlarge them. (Silly me, not realising sooner that a click on them would do it.) Wow! That image made along the Kyeburn Road! I begin to see why you feel it indicates something special and why you felt it was so satisfying. (The "Roadmarks" post in Blueprintx.)

I can't quite define it, but this image shows something elemental. In the way you've portrayed this landscape there's a surreal, almost supernatural, quality in the upthrust of those shadow-delineated, twistedly water-scoured cliffs. They rise so abruptly, and in such contrast, from the flat green foreground to the mostly smooth and rounded shapes of the snowy Kakanuis. I'd earlier noticed subtle lines in this image: the way the whole is contained by the inward-leaning slopes at either end, and the way the slopes of the hills lead to significant clefts in the cliffs (particularly to the right of the highest peak down to the most upright of the shadowed clefts).

It's the way the light falls that makes this so remarkable, of course. Interesting that it was early (to mid?) afternoon, as most of your other images are made at first or last light. But of course it wasn't just a happy accident with the light. You write that you'd made about 50 images, exploring the scene, before the Moment came. It took patience, dedication and, most of all, the skill of long experience to recognise the image which that Moment presented.

Agnostic though I profess to be, I can certainly believe in the Spirit of the Land when I look at this. The more I look at them, the more those cliffs look alive.

Anonymous said...

Erratum: Whoops! In the penultimate paragraph above, for " ...recognise the image..." read "...realise the image...". It took much more than just recognition.

Virginia Clegg said...

As a great lover of our landscape I basked in your images. You have truly arrived photographically, ably capturing the essence of this wonderful counrty. What better place to do than where you are. For your latest work sends shudders down my spine. Mystical, marvellous feeling (!) work. When will the next one be staged?

Tony Bridge said...

Virginia:
I am deeply touched by your comments. I really needed to hear this. There are many moments of despair, uncertainty and terror in the hikoi(journey) I seem to be making at the moment. When I tell people of my journey over the last 11 months, their reaction ranges from disbelief to downright approval. Believe me, there are times when I wonder whether I have done the right thing, and what the future will bring. Most days in fact.What consoles me is the transformation(?) that my picture-making seems to be undergoing.I suspect something is shaking down-ina number of different ways.
As I said your comments are deeply appreciated.
Arohanui e